I have a recipe for you today, but no pictures! Sorry about that... I haven't made this one in so very long. Will try to get it done later this week and post the pics for your enjoyment!
Carbonara with Bacon (or Pancetta)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
16 oz of your favorite pasta or gnocchi
1 Tbsp olive oil (or bacon fat)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 lb sliced pancetta or bacon, chopped
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, and 1 cup Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Blend thoroughly, and set aside.
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain pasta, then return to pot (off the heat), and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook pancetta or bacon over medium heat until browned, tossing with nutmeg. Drain on paper towels.
- Using the same skillet, add the onion and (optional) mushrooms and cook until onion is transparent, about 8 minutes. Remove onion from skillet; place in a bowl, and cover to keep warm.
- Combine pasta / gnocchi, onion, pancetta / bacon, pine nuts, salt, pepper, and (optional) spinach in the same large skillet over low heat. Slowly stir in the egg-mixture, tossing gently so the eggs don’t scramble. Cook until just heated through. Remove from heat and toss with parsley, and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.